Medicare pays for an annual mammogram screening for beneficiaries ages 40 and up. Medicare covers necessary diagnostic mammograms and other types of testing. Part B covers mammograms at a doctor’s office, outpatient imaging center, or other outpatient facilities. Costs will be different for screening mammograms than for diagnostic mammograms. Below we look into the different testing Medicare covers and the costs you might incur.
How Often Does Medicare Pay for Mammograms?
If you’re under age 65 and on Medicare, Medicare will pay for one baseline mammogram when you’re between 35 and 39 years old. Once you’re 40, Medicare pays for a screening mammogram every year. When the doctor accepts assignment, you pay nothing for the screening.
If the test is diagnostic, you’ll pay 20% of the costs. The average cost of a diagnostic Mammogram with Medicare is around $170. But, depending on your area and if you have extra insurance, your costs could be different.
Does Medicare Pay for Screening Mammograms?
Medicare pays for a routine screening mammogram every year, starting at age 40.
Does Medicare Cover Diagnostic Mammograms?
If a screening shows abnormalities, your doctor may order a diagnostic mammogram. When a screening shows breast abnormalities or a high breast density, your doctor may recommend follow-up testing. Testing might include a diagnostic mammogram, a breast ultrasound, or a breast MRI.
Medicare pays for as many diagnostic mammograms that a doctor requires. Part B covers diagnostic mammograms, but you’ll pay 20% of the cost unless you have a supplement.
Does Medicare Pay for 3D Mammograms?
A 3D mammogram creates multiple breast images, whereas a standard 2D mammogram shows only front and side views. Studies show that a 3D mammogram or digital breast tomosynthesis is more likely than a 2D image to detect breast cancer.
Medicare covers 3D mammograms in the same way as 2D mammograms. But, a 3D image is more expensive than a standard 2D mammogram. If your mammogram is for diagnostic purposes, your out-of-pocket costs may be higher with a 3D test.
Does Medicare Cover Breast Ultrasound?
Part B covers breast ultrasound as a diagnostic procedure if it’s necessary. Medicare will pay 80% of the cost, and you’ll be responsible for the other 20%.
Does Medicare Cover 3D Breast Imaging?
In addition to 3D mammograms, Medicare covers 3D breast MRIs if necessary. You can expect to pay 20% of the cost of an MRI if you don’t have supplemental insurance.
Does Medicare cover mammograms after age 65?
Medicare does cover mammograms for women aged 65-69. Annual screening mammograms have 100% coverage. Medicare pays 80% of the cost of diagnostic mammograms. Mammograms remain an important cancer detection tool as you age. Twenty-five percent of breast cancer diagnoses involve women aged 65-74. A U.S. Preventive Service task force found that women aged 60-69 who had regular mammograms had a 33 percent lower risk of dying from breast cancer. The task force and other organizations recommend that women in their 60s have screening mammograms every other year. The American Cancer Society recommends them every year.
How to Get Extra Help with Your Mammogram Costs with Medicare
If you need diagnostic mammograms, MRIs, or ultrasounds, the costs can add up. Medicare supplements can help by covering the expenses Medicare doesn’t pay. There are plenty of options through top companies. Whether you want Advantage or Supplement coverage, our agents can help you.
Don’t waste time calling a bunch of companies, call our agents to talk with one person that can get you a quote with all the top carriers. Our agents are Medicare experts. Your agent will ask you a few questions to better understand what you want and need in your policy. Then, your agent will explain a few options for you.
Once you decide the best plan for your needs, your agent will walk you through the application process over the phone. To get advice from a Medicare expert, call the number above now! Also, you can fill out an online rate form and get one step closer to your ideal coverage.