If you break a hip, a replacement may be necessary. When deemed medically necessary, Medicare will help cover the costs of hip replacement surgery. The price of hip replacement surgery may be different depending on the provider. Likewise, your costs can vary due to the variety of plans available. It’s important to talk to your doctor and medical team to ensure you know exactly how your coverage works before scheduling your surgery.
When performing hip replacement surgery, your surgeon will replace the hip with an artificial joint. Ceramic, hard plastic, and metal are elements in artificial joints. The most common reason for a hip replacement is due to arthritis damage according to the Mayo Clinic.
Does Medicare Pay for Hip Replacement Surgery?
Hip replacement surgery will fall under Part B. Part B covers 80% of your medical costs. You’ll be responsible for the remaining 20%, as well as other cost-sharing. If you have a Medigap plan the 20% coinsurance will be billed to them. Depending on what letter plan you have, you may even have all other cost-sharing covered. Meaning, you’ll pay zero for your hip replacement surgery.
Does Medicare Cover Hip Injections?
A patient with hip problems may hear that injections are a “middle of the road” treatment. Medications and physical therapy are the first steps; then, surgery is a last resort. The good news is, Medicare will cover some hip injections.
The two most common hip injections include:
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) has been in the surgery world for 20+ years. But to the orthopedic world, it’s a newer method of treatment. The treatment uses the patient’s own immune system’s platelets found in the blood, then injected into the problem joint area. Healing happens through this stimulating of more collagen.
- Stem Cell Injections are “magic cells” that can multiply to help heal a wounded area. Injecting these anti-inflammatory and regenerative cells into a joint with arthritis may treat the area. This method doesn’t have FDA approval. Therefore, coverage isn’t available.
The less frequent injections include cortisone injections and Viscosupplementation injections. These may or may not be more beneficial for you; talk with your doctor to discuss your options.
Does Medicare Cover Cortisone Shots?
Medicare guidelines state that cortisone injections usually have coverage. Using this medication to treat inflammation, it goes directly into the problematic joint area. Make sure to check with your medical provider. Ask what the Medicare allowable amounts are for each service.
How Many Cortisone Shots will Medicare Cover?
Beneficiaries needing cortisone shots may have coverage for three cortisone shots annually. Repetitive injections may cause damage to the body over time. Therefore, many orthopedic surgeons suggest such a low number for each patient per year. Part B pays for the administration of any cortisone injections if a healthcare provider administers the drug.
Does Medicare Cover Gel Injections for Hip Pain?
Yes, if your doctor deems it medically necessary, Medicare will help cover the cost. Viscosupplementation injections have a gel-like substance that goes into the joint; this substance is hyaluronic acid. The hyaluronic acid on the joints is like greasing up an old rusty bike chain, but for your joints.
People that have osteoarthritis have less than the average amount of hyaluronic acid in their joints. Moving and impact are painful. Adding this hyaluronic acid to the problem joints helps them move better and is less painful; the acid also absorbs the impact you may place on your joints.
Do Medicare Supplements Cover Hip Replacements or Hip Injections?
How to Get Help Paying for Hip Replacement Surgery with Medicare
Depending on your individual healthcare needs – our team of licensed agents can get you the plan you need; at the best price. Our agents are available to help answer any questions or concerns you have. They’ll help compare rates and make sure you get the best policy that will help cover out of pocket costs from hip surgery and injections Give us a call at the number above, or fill out our rate comparison form.